Finding JOY After the Holiday
You made it. Here we are, days after the holiday season has come to a close... and there's that feeling. You know the one....
Many of us have returned to work (if we ever stopped), returned to routines, and prepare as the calendar year comes to a close. But what is that feeling? The Post-Holiday blues? Boredom?
What happens is that we spend a significant amount of time from October to December every year jumping from holiday to holiday, party to party, family to family; exuding copious amounts of constant joy, that when it abruptly stops, it's like coming off a high. A joyous high. Climbing an end of year mountain, looking forward to each stop before we finally reach the top. Then we're left with "only" our day to day routines.
Thankfully, the New Year often comes in swing us into new goals, adventures, resolutions and more. But what can we do to get through the week in between?
My best advice: FIND JOY in the present and what God has given you in the past months, and over the last year.
2 verses stick out to me this time of year:
“Look! the virgin shall be with child and give birth to a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel”—which, when translated, means, “God with us.” - Matthew 1:23
This is a reminder that while this is a joyous time of year, that God is ALWAYS with us, even when the rest of world stops displaying joy through lights, and gifts and red and green décor. And only He can bring us true Joy year round.
“And behold, the star that they had seen when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy.” Matthew 2:9-10
The wise men found great JOY when seeing the Brilliant Star that led them to Jesus lying in the manger. And this is why the North Star represents new beginnings, hope, and inspiration, as it was only the beginning of a long story that led to where we are today.
So while we celebrate Christmas and all this joy at the end of every year, it represents birth and new beginnings for you!
With all of this in mind, here are 5 things you can do TODAY to find JOY after the holiday!
- Flip through photos and videos of this past year. Smile, laugh, and be thankful for the moments. Have a book printed of your favorite moments! (My favorites are wallgreens.com and chatbooks.com)
- Start your New Year's Resolution today! Why wait? No one said you had to start on January 1.
- Clean out a drawer or a closet if you're feeling brave. Resetting parts of our lives can kickstart new beginnings.
- Start a book or a bible study now. Again, why wait? Feel the joy today.
- Buy or DO something that represents a new beginning for you. Think about your New Year's Resolution. It doesn't have break the bank, but represent what you want to accomplish.
- Example: If you want to read a book every month, go buy your first book. If you want to learn a new language, download an App. If you want to lose weight, buy a pair of pants 2 sizes too small. If you want to eat cleaner, clean out your pantry!
- BONUS, but constant: Pray. Simple as that.
Joy is all around us, just as He is, it's our choice to seek it.
That's all for now friends. Go find some joy today.
P.S. As always, I'm just a mama on a mission to share. Please feel free to comment any topics you'd like to discuss or stories you'd like to share!